Alnwick & District Choral Society

President, Her Grace, Elizabeth, Duchess of Northumberland

Our History

Alnwick and District Choral Society was founded in 1933, although records of a Choral Society can be traced to the middle of the 19th Century.

During World War II the Society was suspended although Jackie Burn kept a choir going in Alnmouth until the Choral Society was restarted in 1947.

Since then, regular concerts have been performed in local Churches, halls and the Playhouse, as well as more informal events in places such as Cragside, Hulne Park and Brinkburn Priory.

Choral poster from 1860 Ticket from 1860 Members in 1860 Choral programme from 1911 Choral programme from 1911 Choral programme from 1911 Choral programme from 1911 Choral programme from 1911 Choral poster from 1950 Raising money for the Tsunami appeal

Click on the pictures for a better view.

The Society tours abroad occasionally and enjoyed visits to the Czech Republic and Austria.

The Czech Republic

Prague.

In 1997 the Choral Society went to The Czech Republic where concerts were given in Prague and Olomouc. Some sightseeing was included in the tour and whilst visiting the Bishop's Palace in Kromeritz we were inspired to sing the Laudate Dominum from Mozart's Vespers in the ballroom where filming for Amadeus took place.

Vienna

In 1999 the Choral Society went to Vienna for a combined concert and sightseeing tour.

Vienna.

Venues for the concerts varied from a Fire-station where an open-air Mass celebrated the Festival of St. Florien, Patron Saint of firemen, to the old Wehrkirche St. Michael in Wachau, the final concert being in Vienna itself at the Church of St. Joseph.